This is a special dish, generally done in Brahmin houses and one of my favorite dishes. It is almost used as a pickle in the mean for its tangy, sweet and hot taste. It is very easy in cooking and goes very well with hot rice and ghee. Can be taken with Roti too. Curd rice, Plain rice is the best way to eat this yummy and tasty Gravy.
- Tomatoes: 2 (naati/desi)
- Ladies finger : 1/4 kilo.
- Ghee: 4 tbspns
- Oil: 1 tsp (to fry Lady’s finger)
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Chana dal (chick pea): 1 tsp
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Hing: Pinch
- Turmeric Powder: pinch
- Salt: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Chilly Powder: 1 tbsp
- Sugar/ Jaggery: choice.
- Coriander: 1 strand
For the masala Powder:
- Red chilies: 5
- Sesame/ Till: 2 tbspns
- Methi/ Fenugreek: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 10-15 leaves
- Garlic: (Choice) 2 cloves.
- Dry fry and powder all the masala ingredients and keep it aside.
- Clean the vegetables and cut into small pieces. Ladies finger is cut in lengthwise.
- Add a tea-spoon of Oil to fry the Lady’s finger to take out the stickiness and once its ready keep it aside.
- Put same Kadai on stove and add Ghee, Hing, Urad dal, ChanaDal, 1 Red chilly.
- Now add diced tomatoes and fry till its rawness goes and get juicy, add water, add fried lady’s finger and coriander.
- Then add Chilly powder, Jaggery, Salt, and masala powder and wait for 2 boils.
- Once done, plate the dish with a small tea-spoon of ghee and few coriander leaves.
Tangy and sweet Gojju/ gravy if served with hot rice, it almost opens door to heaven.